Many people love both dogs and cats. They think they can’t have both pets at home because dogs and cats don’t usually agree. With proper socialization, dogs and cats can live in harmony. Here are some tips to help your dogs and cats get along well.
- When bringing a cat or dog home with an existing pet, make sure there is space for them to leave. Pets may need to be kept away until they get used to each other. Animals should be housed individually for three days until they meet face to face. This will give them access to the scents and allow the new pet to get used to their home.
- To help introduce the animals to their scents, pat the dog and let the cat smell your hand. Do the same with your dog. Also change rooms where pets are kept. Let the dog go to the room where the cat was kept and the cat should go where the dog was. It will also give them a chance to know the scents. As the animals get to know their smell, let them look at each other under the door. They will be able to see each other, but will not be allowed to flee or attack.
- When introducing animals, make sure they are relaxed. If the cat is running away, it’s not time for introduction. When the cat is calm; hold on. Another family member should bring the dog in the room on a leash. Let them look at each other and smell each other. Let them also take a look and get closer.
- Be sure to show the love and affection of each animal. Animals, like humans, can become jealous and compete for their owner’s attention. Both pets need to be loved and shown that they do not have to compete for your attention.
- Even if the dog and cat seem to be living together, it is important not to keep them separate when no one is home. This will help prevent injuries. If the dog is barking or the cat is trying to play too rough, direct the behavior. Do not torture the dog, but direct his attention to other activities. Shouting can lead to negative feelings about the cat. If your dog treats your cat well, be sure to praise him for that behavior. Sounds very happy when praising. This will help the dog to associate positive feelings with the cat.
- Cats need their own space. There should be some sort of thing, like a cat tree, that a cat can go to when he wants to distance himself from the dog. The dog should not reach the cat. If a dog holds a cat in a corner, attacks can occur here. If a cat is able to distance itself from the dog, then it will be fine and it will not attack.
- It is important to have realistic expectations when presenting cats and dogs together. If one of the pets is accustomed to being alone at home, it will take some time to adjust to this new addition. The first time you introduce pets will be curious about each other and this new fragrance they sell. Let them be curious by watching the situation closely. It will take some time for the pets to get used to each other before they can meet and even become friends. Both animals need to feel safe for this to happen.
- Having a cat and a dog in the same house is important to be patient. The cat may be scared of the dog and may want to hide. Allow your cat to stay in a safe place. Slowly let the dog into the room. It is best to take things slowly so that pets can get used to each other and feel safe with each other. This will help them to reconcile and live peacefully in the same home.